Re: 10+hrs vs 15min because of just one index - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Aaron Turner
Subject Re: 10+hrs vs 15min because of just one index
Date
List pgsql-performance
Well just a little update:

1) Looks like I'm definately RAM constrained.   Just placed an order
for another 4GB.
2) I ended up dropping the primary key too which helped with disk
thrashing a lot (average disk queue wait was between 500ms and 8500ms
before and 250-500ms after)
3) Playing with most of the settings in the postgresql.conf actually
dropped performance significantly.  Looks like I'm starving the disk
cache.
4) I'm going to assume going to a bytea helped some (width is 54 vs
66) but nothing really measurable

Thanks everyone for your help!

--
Aaron Turner