Re: LOG: could not fork new process for connection: Cannot allocate memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: LOG: could not fork new process for connection: Cannot allocate memory
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8/25/2016 5:10 PM, Ahsan Ali wrote:
> yes it is older however we do apply security patches now a then.

redhat doesn't really support mixing packages from different releases,
they only test things with all packages from the same snapshot.   "yum
update" should bring the whole system up to current.

> regarding max connection its the application design however it does
> not have that many active session.
> postgres=# select count(*) from pg_stat_activity;
>  count
> -------
>   1818

so there were 1818 postgres client processes at the time it coudln't
create a new process.   thats certainly a larger number than I've ever
run.   if I have client software that has lots and lots of idle
connections, I use a connection pooler like pgbouncer, in transaction mode.