Re: corruption of WAL page header is never reported - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: corruption of WAL page header is never reported
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 2021/09/13 17:21, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> I wrote "while not in standby mode, we don't need to avoid retry the
> entire record" but that doesn't mean the inversion "while in standby
> mode, we need to do avoid that". In the first place retry doesn't
> happen while not in standby mode.  I don't come up with a nice
> phrasing but something like this works?
>
> Note that we don't do this while not in standby mode because this is
> required only to avoid retrying this entire record for an invalid page
> header while in standby mode. Instead, ReadPageInternal() is
> responsible for validating the page header in that case.

I think that it's better to comment why "retry" is not necessary
when not in standby mode.

When not in standby mode, an invalid page header should cause recovery
to end, not retry reading the page, so we don't need to validate the page
header here for the retry. Instead, ReadPageInternal() is responsible for
the validation.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao