[NOVICE] Error Relation xxxx does not exist when trying to insert new row - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From William Colls
Subject [NOVICE] Error Relation xxxx does not exist when trying to insert new row
Date
List pgsql-novice

Environment: Kubuntu 16.04 64 bit: Postgresql 9.5.6 installed from repository.

When I try to insert a new row into a table, I am getting the error relation "xxxx" does not exist. However:

  • in psql the command \d shows "xxxx" to be in the public schema of the current database, and owned by the current user.
  • SHOW search_path returns "$user", public
  • The table, and its columns, were created using pgadmin3. A small test table created from within psql works just fine; no error on insert.
  • The properties of the two tables appear to be the same, when viewed in pgadmin3

What am I missing?

I know this is pretty basic, and I should be able to figure it out for myself, but for now it has me beat.

Thanks for your time.

William.