Re: pg_dump, pg_dumpall and data durability - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: pg_dump, pg_dumpall and data durability
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/8/16 3:48 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> First question: Do we even want this?  Generally, when a program
> writes to a file, we rely on the operating system to decide when that
> data should be written back to disk.  We have to override that
> distinction for things internal to PostgreSQL because we need certain
> bits of data to reach the disk in a certain order, but it's unclear to
> me how far outside the core database system we want to extend that.

I had voiced a similar concern previously:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/f8dff810-f5f4-77c3-933b-127df4ed94e5@2ndquadrant.com

At the time, there were no other comments, so we went ahead with it,
which presumably gave encouragement to pursue the current patch.