Re: When are largobject records TOASTed into pg_toast_2613? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: When are largobject records TOASTed into pg_toast_2613?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2020-08-21 at 14:00 +0200, Thomas Boussekey wrote:
> Working on a PostgreSQL 9.5 to 12 upgrade, I encounter problems on a PostgreSQL instance when I have
>  an existing table `pg_toast_2613` into my application database.
>
> The upgrade process fails with the following error:
>
> ```
> No match found in new cluster for old relation with OID 16619 in database "mirakl_db": "pg_toast.pg_toast_2613" which
isthe TOAST table for "pg_catalog.pg_largeobject"

> No match found in new cluster for old relation with OID 16621 in database "mirakl_db": "pg_toast.pg_toast_2613_index"
whichis an index on "pg_toast.pg_toast_2613" which is the TOAST table for

> "pg_catalog.pg_largeobject"
> ```
>
> The `pg_upgrade` command fails when I have the table `pg_toast_2613` that exists, even if it is empty.
> I read the PostgreSQL documentation, and I didn't find when the pg_largeobject table needs to be toasted.
>  I thought it might be linked with records' size, but my queries below don't correlate that!

Indeed, system tables have no TOAST tables in PostgreSQL, so I wonder
how your "pg_largeobject" table could have grown one.

Did you do any strange catalog modifications?

The safest way would be to upgrade with pg_dumpall/psql.
That should get rid of that data corruption.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe