Re: [ADMIN] FW: backup using pg_dump postgreSQL 8.3.8 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vibhor Kumar
Subject Re: [ADMIN] FW: backup using pg_dump postgreSQL 8.3.8
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mar 9, 2011, at 7:28 PM, Sandy Test wrote:

> We have postgreSQL 8.3.8 installed on a windows 8 server (64 bit).
>
> We want to be able to run a nightly backup using the pg_dump command.
> Unfortunately, even with the pg_hba.conf fix of adding host postgres … trust,
> It still asks for a password.
>
> 1. Is this a 64bit issue? If the server was 32bit, would it not ask for a password?

I haven;t seen issue with PG 8.3.8
Please share pg_hba.conf file entry.

> 2. Is there a way of running a dos script that would run the pg_dump providing a password when prompted?

Include following in dos script.
set PGPASSWORD=<passowrd>

Or you can use pgpass.conf file option.

> 3. Is there a way of running the pg_dump with a user that doesn't have a password?

For that user, you have to mention trust with hostname in pg_hba.conf

Thanks & Regards,
Vibhor Kumar
vibhor.aim@gmail.com
Blog:http://vibhork.blogspot.com