Insert into ... Select ... From ... too intelligent transaction - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rose, Juergen
Subject Insert into ... Select ... From ... too intelligent transaction
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

I'm still working on my updateable views, which work fine now even I have a trigger to use because my delete rules wont
work,but thats not my current, more important problem.

I use some updateable views to handle my data (which are amazingly slow), which gives me ultimate flexibility to handle
mydata.

there are some insert rules which use currval() to get the last sequence id for my data which I have to insert.

The problem now is, it works fine if I do the statement via normal insert into satatements, even within a transaction
block.So far so good. But If I migrate my old data via **Insert into my_new_view Select ... From my_old_table**, Only
thelast retrieved value of the sequences is used which blows my whole internal logic, because obviously I want to use
thecurrent (for that row) and not the last id.

For me it seems that the optimizer optimizes a bit to much!

Is the an easy workaround?

Many thanks for any help
Jürgen