Re: Empty Range Bound Specified for Partition - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: Empty Range Bound Specified for Partition
Date
List pgsql-general
> On 22 Nov 2018, at 7:21, ramsiddu007 <ramsiddu007@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> pgsql>  create table test_upto_100 partition of test_parent_partition
>              for values from ('51') to ('100');
>
>                It was showing error like this..
>
> ERROR:  empty range bound specified for partition "test_upto_100"
> DETAIL:  Specified lower bound ('51') is greater than or equal to upper bound ('100').
> SQL state: 42P17
>

>                 I am not getting, please give me cause of this and solution.

Alphabetically, '1' comes before '5', so '100' comes before '51'.
Numerically, you would get what you intended, but you're not partitioning on numbers but on strings instead and those
sortalphabetically: '1', '10', '100', '11', '2', '3', '51', etc.

Alban Hertroys