Re: Does PostgreSQL support job? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Daniel Caune
Subject Re: Does PostgreSQL support job?
Date
Re: Does PostgreSQL support job?  (Markus Schaber <schabi@logix-tt.com>)
List pgsql-sql

Yes, that's it.  A job is a task, i.e. set of statements, which is scheduled to run against a RDBMS at periodical
times. Some RDBMS, such as SQL Server and Oracle, support that feature, even if such a feature is managed differently
froma RDBMS to another.

OK.  I get it.  I will use cron and psql as I was planning to do so.

> If you need something more complex, either a function which is executed
> from a script or a full-blown client program may be required.  IME that's
> fairly rare.

I'm not sure to understand.  Why calling a function from a script is different from executing a series of SQL commands?
I mean, I can run a script defined as follows:

SELECT myjob();

where myjob is a stored procedure such as:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION myjob() RETURNS void
AS $$ <a-lot-of-complex-stuff-here>
END;
$$ LANGUAGE PLPGSQL;

Does that make sense?