"hot standby" system - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chris Campbell
Subject "hot standby" system
Date
Re: "hot standby" system  (Hannu Krosing <hannu@skype.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
The documentation [1] says this about On-line backup and point-in-
time recovery:

> If we continuously feed the series of WAL files to another machine
> that has been loaded with the same base backup file, we have a "hot
> standby" system: at any point we can bring up the second machine
> and it will have a nearly-current copy of the database.

Is this possible today in a stable and robust way? If so, can we
document the procedure? If not, should we alter the documentation so
it's not misleading? I've had several people ask me where to enable
the "hot standby" feature, not realizing that PostgreSQL only has
some of the raw materials that could be used to architect such a thing.

Thanks!

- Chris

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/backup-online.html