Re: [GENERAL] Testing an extension exhaustively? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Testing an extension exhaustively?
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Feb 1, 2017, at 4:03 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
>
> On 2/1/2017 3:39 PM, postgres user wrote:
>> If I have the Postgresql server installed on my machine i.e I have all the bins, libs and share directories of the
Postgresqland I have the libs and sql's installed for one of the contrib extensions lets say "chkpass", how does one go
abouttesting this extension exhaustively on the server? I ask this because I would want to do this manually first and
thengo about automating the testing of this extension. So rather than just execute CREATE EXTENSION and DROP EXTENSION
Iwant some solid evidence that the extension is working fine under all circumstances and is not crashing the server at
anymoment? Looking for some new strategies and ideas to come my way through this.

> you would write test cases for all the functionality provided by this extension, same as you'd test any other sort of
API.

And you might find http://pgtap.org convenient for doing that.

Cheers,
  Steve