Re: Postgres and data warehouses - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Sargent
Subject Re: Postgres and data warehouses
Date
List pgsql-general
I strongly suspect many would like further details on your implementation. A user conference session well recorded
perhaps?

> On Mar 8, 2015, at 4:57 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/8/2015 7:40 AM, Nigel Gardiner wrote:
>> I'm looking at making a data warehouse to address our rapidly spiralling report query times against the OLTP. I'm
lookingfirst at what it would take to make this a real-time data warehouse, as opposed to batch-driven.

> we use a hybrid architecture.    we have a 'republisher' process that repeatedly slurps new data from the OLTP
databaseand sends it to the back end databases, using a 'publish/subscribe' messaging bus.    several back end
databasessubscribe to this data, and their subscriber processes insert the incoming data into those OLAP and various
otherreporting databases.   this way the reporting databases can have completely different schemas optimized for their
needs,and have different retention requirements than the OLTP database.

> this republisher is usually within a few seconds of live new data. in our case its made fairly easy to track 'new'
becauseall our OLTP transactions are event-oriented.