Re: Timestamp to time_t - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: Timestamp to time_t
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sep 15, 2009, at 10:17 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

>> try=# select extract(timezone_hour from '2001-02-16 20:38:40 America/
>> Los_Angeles'::timestamptz);
>
> You appear to be confusing what PG currently does with what the spec
> says.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to what PostgreSQL does. Would I
be wrong in thinking that the current behavior might be surprising to
some? I mean, I'd really like a timestamptz that tracked the tz or
offset that was used to create its value…

I'm sure that's been on the ToDo list for time immemorial.

Best,

David