Re: Managing multiple branches in git - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Managing multiple branches in git
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Yeah I was annoyed by the issue with having to reconfigure as well.

There are various tricks you can do though with separate repositories.

You could have the older branch repositories be clones of HEAD branch
repository so when you push from them the changes just go to that
repository then you can push all three branches together (not sure if
you can do it all in one command though)

You can also have the different repositories share data files which I
think will mean you don't have to pull other people's commits
repeatedly. (the default is to have local clones use hard links so
they don't take a lot of space and they're quick to sync anyways.)

There's also an option to make a clone without the full history but
for local clones they're fast enough to create anyways that there's
probably no point.

Incidentally I use git-clean -x -d -f instead of make maintainer-clean.

--
Greg