RE: Software Quality - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Mount
Subject RE: Software Quality
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I think most of us here are hot on quality. It's one of the reasons why I
don't release code before I'm at least happy with what I've got is clean and
easily maintainable.

Here (MBC) I see several other analysts writing quick hacks that then become
mission critical. These hacks then become illegible so when they break, I
end up pulling my hair out because I can't read the code.

Yet, they then moan at me because I take longer. However, I test everything
first and I don't reinvent the wheel - if a routine or class is going to be
useful, I make sure it's not dependent on too much, and put it in a library.

I hate sloppy coding, but it's a sign of the times. Machines are more
powerful, and storage is so cheap it's the easy way out not to optimise
things.

For example: How large is the average chess program now? Does anyone
remember the Sinclair ZX81 and chess that ran in 1K of memory? Or how about
a programming language on the Amiga whos compiler was only 1020 bytes long
(Fast).

Peter

--
Peter Mount