Which version of PostgreSQL should I use. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Gavin Baumanis
Subject Which version of PostgreSQL should I use.
Date
Re: Which version of PostgreSQL should I use.  (Gavin Baumanis <gavinb@thespidernet.com>)
List pgsql-sql
Hi there,

Let me first preface this with, I am not a PostgreSQL admin.
I am a web developer who happens to use PSQL as the back-end for my company's app.
We did have a dedicated DBA / system admin - but he has recently resigned.
I know enough about psql - to be able to create / drop databases... and enough about SQL to get stuff in and out of the
database.
Beyond that - I pretty much know , nothing about PostgreSQL - thus this mail.

We're currently using psql 8.1 and are on the way to upgrading to 8.4.
This is a process that the last DBA had us start.
And we've slowly been going through our code, getting rid of implicit casts as errors appear.

I have now been asked to start replicating our databases between servers - as a hot-copy / redundancy improvement.
And subsequently have some questions, please.

Is there are a particular version of PostgreSQL that we should be "aiming" to upgrade to  that provides for synching of
databases.
My initial thought is;
We should upgrade to the latest stable version - whatever that is;
But is the answer that simple?

What we do we also need to take into account?
I am "pretty sure" that to get to 8.4 from 8.1 (on our staging server) that we had to upgrade to 8.3 first.

So I guess I am hoping that someone might just simply know - or be able to pint me in the correct direction for some
informationabout what's in what version and any upgrade requirements to get to XXX from 8.1

AS always  - thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to give us!

Gavin.