Re: Data Types - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Roberts, Jon
Subject Re: Data Types
Date
List pgsql-general

Character will use more disk space than varchar so it does make a difference.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/datatype-character.html

Values of type character are physically padded with spaces to the specified width n, and are stored and displayed that way. However, the padding spaces are treated as semantically insignificant. Trailing spaces are disregarded when comparing two values of type character, and they will be removed when converting a character value to one of the other string types. Note that trailing spaces are semantically significant in character varying and text values.

Jon