Re: Directly programmed query plans? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject Re: Directly programmed query plans?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Dec 20, 2006, at 17:34 , Josh ben Jore wrote:

> I vaguely recall that there’s an interface to PostgreSQL 7.3 where
> developers can directly feed it query plans. Can someone help me
> remember where this lived and whether it worked?
>

> The problem I’m looking at is that it’s difficult to impossible to
> get optimal uses of indexes all the time. Some of our queries are
> “optimized” particularly poorly. Perhaps, just perhaps it might be
> useful to be able to write a query using the compiled form rather
> than the SQL form. Any suggestions to help solve the real problem
> of index hinting would also be welcomed.
I don't know anything about a particular interface to 7.3, but if
you're still using 7.3 and are having problems with plans not being
properly optimized, I highly recommend upgrading to 8.2. There have
been substantial improvements to both the planner in particular and
performance in general in the last four releases.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net