Re: [GENERAL] Adding identity column to a non-empty table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Igal @ Lucee.org
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Adding identity column to a non-empty table
Date
List pgsql-general
Melvin,

On 10/15/2017 5:56 PM, Melvin Davidson wrote:

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 8:24 PM, Igal @ Lucee.org <igal@lucee.org> wrote:
On 10/15/2017 4:01 PM, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying to add an identity column to a table that has records (previously had a bigserial column which I removed):

There is probably a better solution, but the one I came up with is to add the column as BIGSERIAL and DROP the SEQUENCE CASCADE, SELECT the max(rid) + 1, and then convert the column to IDENTITY:

The correct way to make r_id the primary key would be:

ALTER TABLE  event_log
  ADD COLUMN r_id SERIAL;

ALTER TABLE  event_log
  ALTER COLUMN r_id TYPE BIGINT,
  ADD CONSTRAINT dummy_pk PRIMARY KEY (r_id);

That automatically generates the column as

r_id bigint NOT NULL DEFAULT nextval('dummy_r_id_seq'::regclass),
  CONSTRAINT dummy_pk PRIMARY KEY (r_id)

and creates the appropriate sequence for you.

Does that use the new IDENTITY construct that was added in Postgres 10?  I do not really care for the PRIMARY KEY constraint.  I just want the sequence with the benefits of the new IDENTITY "type".

Thanks,

Igal