Re: moving from mysql to postgree - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pau Marc Munoz Torres
Subject Re: moving from mysql to postgree
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks every body, today i've created my first table with postgresql, what a mass with \d <table> and sequancial vs auto_increment data type in create... anyway, i will become an expert soon

;-)

thanks again

pau

2007/11/16, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>:
On Nov 15, 2007 10:44 AM, Pau Marc Munoz Torres <paumarc@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I'm moving from mysql to postgresql just now i I'm a bit lost, could anyone
> tell me some place with a comparative between postdresql and mysql commands,
> i think than mostly is the same think but, any way, do anything change ?

IMO, he biggest differences between mysql and postgresql for beginners are:
* database authentication (pg_hba.conf and user set up)
* create/alter table syntax
* dealing with timestamps/default expressions
* update and delete statements that deal with more than one table

postgresql has a _much_ better command shell than mysql.  It has
tab-completions for commands as well as database objects and has
syntax help for all commands.  This is an absolutely essential help to
the beginner.  (some of the gui tools, like pgadmin, have this as well
but i use the shell almost exclusively).

\h <command> in the shell will give you help for the command and
\d <table> well 'describe' the table

good luck!!
merlin

--
Pau Marc Muñoz Torres

Laboratori de Biologia Computacional
Institut de  Biotecnologia   i Biomedicina Vicent Villar
Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona
E-08193 Bellaterra (Barcelona)

telèfon: 93 5812807
Email : paumarc.munoz@bioinf.uab.cat