Re: Search strings - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doran L. Barton
Subject Re: Search strings
Date
List pgsql-general
Not long ago, Peter Landis proclaimed...
>   I'm a newbie at postgresql and created a relational
> database with perl.  What my question is, how do you
> do a string search in postgresql?  I know you can
> search for string comparisons in oracle but was
> wondering if this is possible in postgresql?  So far
> I've been using the SELECT syntax for finding words in
> the database, but this is assuming that the word is
> exactly the same.  If anyone could advise me on this
> minor problem, I would greatly appreciate it.

Very possible. There are several string operators in PostgreSQL. One of my
favorite is ~* which does a case-insensitive regular expression search.

  SELECT * FROM TABLE1 WHERE FIELD1 ~* 'dog';

Hope that helps.

-=Fozz

--
Doran L. Barton <fozz@iodynamics.com>
Iodynamics LLC -- "Internetworking the masses"