Re: [HACKERS] How to get info about deadlocks? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Massimo Dal Zotto
Subject Re: [HACKERS] How to get info about deadlocks?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > I've been experimenting with concurrent VACUUMs and getting occasional
> > instances of
> >
> > NOTICE:  Deadlock detected -- See the lock(l) manual page for a possible cause.
> > ERROR:  WaitOnLock: error on wakeup - Aborting this transaction
> >
> > It would be really nice if I could find out the particular locks that
> > are causing this conflict --- but the code that emits these messages
> > isn't very transparent :-(.  Can anyone explain how to determine just
> > what the deadlock is?
> >

> Massimo has some.  See the top of lock.c for pg_options flags to dump
> out locks.

Yes, there is a DumpAllLocks() which should dump the lock table in case of
deadlock, but I have never been able to find any useful information from it.
The code is non compiled by default unless you define DEADLOCK_DEBUG.

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

|  Massimo Dal Zotto               email: dz@cs.unitn.it               |
|  Via Marconi, 141                phone: ++39-0461534251              |
|  38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)      www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/  |
|  Italy                             pgp: finger dz@tango.cs.unitn.it  |