Postmaster dies with FATAL 1: ReleaseLruFile: No opened files - no one can be closed - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mike Mascari
Subject Postmaster dies with FATAL 1: ReleaseLruFile: No opened files - no one can be closed
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Tom,

I was hoping you might have some insight on a problem we've encountered
with PostgreSQL 6.5.0 (RedHat 5.2) this morning, since you are the
"file descriptor" king, as it were :-) . The database is backing a website
used by a network of hospitals for materials management and this morning,
the postmaster died with the following appearing in the system log:

Nov 14 11:50:14 emptoris logger:
FATAL 1:  ReleaseLruFile: No opened files - no one can be closed

This is the first time this has ever happened. I've had such good luck
with PostgreSQL that I didn't have the postmaster started by inittab.
The number of backends should have been very light today (Sunday) --
only a few ODBC users and an occassional HTTP user, so after the
postmaster exited, the log (I assume these are forked backend complaints)
shows:

Nov 14 11:55:03 emptoris logger:
pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
Nov 14 11:55:03 emptoris logger:
pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
Nov 14 11:55:04 emptoris logger:
pq_flush: send() failed: Broken pipe
Nov 14 11:55:04 emptoris logger:
FATAL: pq_endmessage failed: errno=32

>From previous posts, I know you've done a cleanup with respect to
file descriptors, but all I see in the log after 6.5.0 is a 6.5.1 entry:

ACL file descriptor leak fix(Atsushi Ogawa)

Is this a rare occurence or something that might have been fixed between
6.5.0 and 6.5.3? Like I said, this is the first time this has happened and
otherwise has been very robust under much heavier loads -- so much so
that I didn't put the postmaster into inittab for respawning.  Its
been working pretty much flawlessly in production for about a year.

Anyways, after starting the postmaster again, I vacuum analyzed the
database, accessed the HTTP application, etc. without problems.

Any info would be greatly appreciated,

Mike Mascari
(mascarim@yahoo.com)

=====