Re: [HACKERS] compression in LO and other fields - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: [HACKERS] compression in LO and other fields
Date
Re: [HACKERS] compression in LO and other fields  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> LO is a dead end.  What we really want to do is eliminate tuple-size
> restrictions and then have large ordinary fields (probably of type
> bytea) in regular tuples.  I'd suggest working on compression in that
> context, say as a new data type called "bytez" or something like that.

It sounds ideal but I remember that Vadim said inserting a 2GB record
is not good idea since it will be written into the log too. If it's a
necessary limitation from the point of view of WAL, we have to accept
it, I think.

BTW, I still don't have enough time to run the huge sort tests on
6.5.x. Probably I would have chance next week to do that...
---
Tatsuo Ishii