Re: [HACKERS] sort on huge table - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: [HACKERS] sort on huge table
Date
List pgsql-hackers

>Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp> writes:
>> I have compared current with 6.5 using 1000000 tuple-table (243MB) (I
>> wanted to try 2GB+ table but 6.5 does not work in this case). The
>> result was strange in that current is *faster* than 6.5!
>
>> RAID5
>>     current    2:29
>>     6.5.2    3:15
>
>> non-RAID
>>     current    1:50
>>     6.5.2    2:13
>
>> Seems my previous testing was done in wrong way or the behavior of
>> sorting might be different if the table size is changed?
>
>Well, I feel better now, anyway ;-).  I thought that my first cut
>ought to have been about the same speed as 6.5, and after I added
>the code to slurp up multiple tuples in sequence, it should've been
>faster than 6.5.  The above numbers seem to be in line with that
>theory.  Next question: is there some additional effect that comes
>into play once the table size gets really huge?  I am thinking maybe
>there's some glitch affecting performance once the temp file size
>goes past one segment (1Gb).  Tatsuo, can you try sorts of say
>0.9 and 1.1 Gb to see if something bad happens at 1Gb?  I could
>try rebuilding here with a small RELSEG_SIZE, but right at the
>moment I'm not certain I'd see the same behavior you do...

Ok. I have run some testings with various amount of data.

RedHat Linux 6.0
Kernel 2.2.5-smp
512MB RAM
Sort mem: 80MB
RAID5

100 million tuples    1:31
200            4:24
300            7:27
400            11:11  <-- 970MB
500            14:01  <-- 1.1GB (segmented files)
600            18:31
700            22:24
800            24:36
900            28:12
1000            32:14

I didn't see any bad thing at 1.1GB (500 million).
--
Tatsuo Ishii