Can VACUUM, but cannot do VACUUM ANALYZE - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Albert REINER
Subject Can VACUUM, but cannot do VACUUM ANALYZE
Date
Re: [SQL] Can VACUUM, but cannot do VACUUM ANALYZE  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-sql
Hi!

Every couple of days I run "vacuum analyze" on every db on my system
(from a shell script).  Now there is one small database (two tables,
one SQL-function) where I get the following (in psql):

> albert@frithjof:/home/albert > psql
> Welcome to the POSTGRESQL interactive sql monitor:
>   Please read the file COPYRIGHT for copyright terms of POSTGRESQL
> [PostgreSQL 6.5.1 on i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1, compiled by gcc 2.7.2.1]
>
>    type \? for help on slash commands
>    type \q to quit
>    type \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
>  You are currently connected to the database: albert
>
> albert=> vacuum;
> VACUUM
> albert=> vacuum analyze;
> NOTICE:  AbortTransaction and not in in-progress state
> pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
>       This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
>       before or while processing the request.
> We have lost the connection to the backend, so further processing is impossible.  Terminating.

I.e., I can VACUUM, but I cannot do VACUUM ANALYZE. Why should analyze
do an ABORT? By the way, I do not notice any strange behavior with
this database, and pg_dump works fine on it.

Any ideas what might be at fault and how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Albert.

Albert Reiner                                   <areiner@tph.tuwien.ac.at>
Deutsch       *       English       *       Esperanto       *       Latine