Re: [HACKERS] Neverending query on 6.5.2 over Solaris 2.5.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fernando Schapachnik
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Neverending query on 6.5.2 over Solaris 2.5.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
En un mensaje anterior, Tom Lane escribió:
> > I'm running postmaster -N 8 -B 16 because whitout these postmaster
> > wouldn't get all the shared memory it needed and won't start. Do you
> > think that this may be in some way related?
>
> Well, that's certainly costing you performance; 16 disk pages is not
> enough buffer space to avoid thrashing.  You need to increase your
> kernel's max-shared-memory-block-size (SHMMAX, I think) parameter
> so that you can run with a more reasonable -B setting.  A lot of
> kernels ship with SHMMAX settings that are ridiculously small for
> any modern machine.

What value would you advise for shmmax?

Regards.

Fernando P. Schapachnik
Administración de la red
VIA Net Works Argentina SA
Diagonal Roque Sáenz Peña 971, 4º y 5º piso.
1035 - Capital Federal, Argentina.
(54-11) 4323-3333
http://www.via-net-works.net.ar