Re: [HACKERS] indexable and locale - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: [HACKERS] indexable and locale
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp> writes:
> >> Attached is a patch to the old problem discussed feverly before 6.5.
>
> > ... I think your pacthes break
> > non-ascii multi-byte character sets data and should be surrounded by
> > #ifdef LOCALE rather than replacing current codes surrounded by
> > #ifndef LOCALE.
>
> I am worried about this patch too.  Under MULTIBYTE could it
> generate invalid characters?

I assume you are talking about following code fragment in the pacthes:
    prefix[prefixlen]++;

This would not generate invalid characters under MULTIBYTE since it skips the
multi-byte characters by:
    if ((unsigned) prefix[prefixlen] < 126)

This would not make non-ASCII multi-byte characters indexable,
however.

> Also, do all non-ASCII locales sort
> codes 0-126 in the same order as ASCII?  I didn't think they do,
> but I'm not an expert.

As far as I know they do. At least all encodings MULTIBYTE mode can
handle have same code point as ASCII in 0-126 range. They have
following characteristics:

o code point 0x00-0x7f are compatible with ASCII.

o code point over 0x80 are variable length multi-byte characters. For example, ISO-8859-1 (Germany, Fernch etc...) has
themulti-byte length to always 1, while EUC_JP (Japanese) has 2 to 3.

> The approach I was considering for fixing the problem was to use a
> loop that would repeatedly try to generate a string greater than the
> prefix string.  The basic loop step would increment the rightmost
> byte as Goran has done (or, if it's already up to the limit, chop
> it off and increment the next character position).  Then test to
> see whether the '<' operator actually believes the result is
> greater than the given prefix, and repeat if not.  This avoids making
> any strong assumptions about the sort order of different character
> codes.  However, there are two significant issues that would have
> to be surmounted to make it work reliably:

Sounds good idea.

> 1. In MULTIBYTE mode incrementing the rightmost byte might yield
> an illegal multibyte character.  Some way to prevent or detect this
> would be needed, lest it confuse the comparison operator.  I think
> we have some multibyte routines that could be used to check for
> a valid result, but I haven't looked into it.

I don't think this is an issue as long as locale isn't enabled. For
multibyte encodings (Japanese, Chinese etc..) locale is totally
useless and usually I don't enable it.

> 2. I think there are some locales out there that have context-
> sensitive sorting rules, ie, a given character string may sort
> differently than you'd expect from considering the characters in
> isolation.  For example, in German isn't "ss" treated specially?
> If "pqrss" does not sort between "pqrs" and "pqrt" then the entire
> premise of *both* sides of the LIKE optimization falls apart,
> because you can't be sure what will happen when comparing a prefix
> string like "pqrs" against longer strings from the database.
> I do not know if this is really a problem, nor what we could do
> to avoid it if it is.

I'm not sure about it but I am afraid it could be a problem. I think
real soultion would be supporting the standard CREATE COLLATION.
---
Tatsuo Ishii