HOW DO I... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From John C Cusick
Subject HOW DO I...
Date
Re: [SQL] HOW DO I...  (Mathijs Brands <mathijs@ilse.nl>)
List pgsql-sql
To All,

How do I select from one table into another table
that already exists?

In other words, if I do a:
select * into tblB from tblA where attrN like 'xxx';

and both table structures are identical I get a
ERROR: Relation 'tblB' already exists

If I : select * into table tblB from tblA where attrN like 'xxx';

I get the same answer.

I also tried using 'update'

So, How do I update a smaller table from a larger table?

For those who wish to know, This is a large parts database that
is updated monthly and I have divided it into smaller subsections for
quick access through a web-based interface. Searching the original
table is much too time consuming ( over 130,000 part #'s with Specs and
Descriptions - all running on an ancient 80386).  And I would like
to avoid updating the smaller tables by re-building them from scratch.

Thanks for your time,

John C.