Re: [HACKERS] Re: PostgreSQL Help - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: PostgreSQL Help
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Dear Tatsuo (did I get your name right this time),

Yes:-)

> After installing PostgreSQL 6.5.2
> --with-mb=UNICODE
>
> I am still getting a truncation of some varchar columns.  When accessing a table
> in PostgreSQL I get this:
> $(C(BERROR: Conversion between UNICODE and SQL_ASCII is not supported$(D(B

What kind of client program are you using? If it's psql or something
using libpq, you are likely setting an environment variable
PGCLIENTENCODING to SQL_ASCII. As the message said, Conversion between
UNICODE and SQL_ASCII is not currently supported. You should unset the
variable and use a client program that understands UNICODE (UTF-8).

If your client program is a Java using JDBC, I have no idea at all
since I am not involved into the PostgreSQL JDBC driver.
---
Tatsuo Ishii