bug: 'alter table' in psql - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From bojay@malign.penguinpowered.com
Subject bug: 'alter table' in psql
Date
List pgsql-bugs
                        POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name        :    Signal 11
Your email address    :    signal11@mediaone.net

System Configuration
---------------------
  Architecture (example: Intel Pentium)      : K6/350

  Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF)     : Linux 2.2.9 i686

  PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-6.4.2)  :   6.4.2-3

  Compiler used (example:  gcc 2.8.0)        : gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)

alter table authentication add group char(64);
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "group"
^^ above command fails when passed to psql.

Please describe a way to repeat the problem.   Please try to provide a

- open psql and connect to any random database.
- type in 'alter table $YOUR_TABLE_NAME add group char(64);' and
  submit it to the backend. (the type doesn't matter)

If you know how this problem might be fixed, list the solution below:

pgsql's sql parser is probably assuming you want to use the keyword
'group' (ie: the "grant" command) instead of the name group to name
your field.

As an aside, I ran into this while trying to create some authentication
stuff for my website.  I can use "groups" instead without any problem..
but it's something you guys might want to look into - there might be
other bugs lurking in the parser that won't be so easy to find as this
one.

Ciao!