Re: [SQL] DEFAULT confusion - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Thomas Mack
Subject Re: [SQL] DEFAULT confusion
Date
List pgsql-sql
>> INSERT INTO tabel VALUES (NEXTVAL('tabel_seq'), "sometext", 123);
>>
>> I can't just
>> INSERT INTO tabel VALUES (NULL, "something", 123);
>>
>> Then what is the point of the DEFAULT clause? In other words: How do I
>> get away with not specifying anything for id?
>
>It's not ideal, but if you make the sequence the last field in the table,
>e.g.
>
>CREATE TABLE tabel (this int2,that text,id serial)
>
>, then you can do a
>
>INSERT INTO tabel VALUES (5,'whatever);
>
>& that works. I would love to know if there is a 'proper' solution, though.

Well - normally you specify your column names in an insert, if you
don't want to fill all values or if you are unsure about the sequence
of attributes:

mack=> CREATE SEQUENCE stuff_seq;
CREATE
mack=> CREATE TABLE stuff (
mack->         id      INTEGER DEFAULT NEXTVAL('stuff_seq') NOT NULL,
mack->         name    TEXT,
mack->         number  INTEGER
mack-> );
CREATE
mack=> insert into stuff (name, number) values ('something', 123);
INSERT 1403035 1
mack=> select * from stuff;
id|name     |number
--+---------+------1|something|   123
(1 row)

mack=>

Thomas Mack
TU Braunschweig, Abt. Informationssysteme