problem with select - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Holm Tiffe
Subject problem with select
Date
Re: [SQL] problem with select  ("tjk@tksoft.com" <tjk@tksoft.com>)
List pgsql-sql
Hi all,

I have an problem and I can't find a solution.

I have a products database like this:

code varchar,
category varchar,
title varchar,
manufacturer varchar,
description varchar,
desc_de varchar,
comment varchar,
price float,

What I try to find is a solution for a search in this table like this:

select distinct code,category from products where code ~* 'abc' or
category ~* 'abc' or manufacturer ~* 'abc' or description ~* 'abc'
or comment ~* 'abc' order by code;

So far so good, but I have the problem that I have the value 'abc'
only one times !

This is in conjunction with minivend, an internet shopping mall,
the query is generated as follows:

....<TD [var TABLEFG] ALIGN=RIGHT>        <FONT SIZE=-1 FACE=ARIAL,HELVETICA style="text-decoration: none">
<INPUTTYPE="hidden" NAME="mv_searchtype" VALUE="sql">       <INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME=mv_matchlimit VALUE="3">
<INPUTTYPE="hidden" NAME=mv_sql_query        VALUE="select code,category from products where comment ~* ?">
                                                             ^^^       <INPUT MAXLENGTH="30" NAME="mv_searchspec"
SIZE="13"VALUE=""><BR>             <FONT FACE="arial,helvetica" SIZE="-1">       <INPUT TYPE="submit"
VALUE="[loc]Search[/loc]"><BR>

The question mark get's replaced by the contents of the HTML input field,
and I have no chance to create a temporary table here (security issue).

I must create a view or a rule or something to get a query like this:

VALUE="select foobar from myview where comment ~* ?">

How can this be done ?

Thanks in Advance,
Holm
--
FreibergNet Systemhaus GbR      Holm Tiffe  * Administration, Development
Systemhaus für Daten- und Netzwerktechnik           phone +49 3731 781279