Re: [SQL] harddisk crash - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From tjk@tksoft.com
Subject Re: [SQL] harddisk crash
Date
List pgsql-sql
H.W.,
The easiest way is to install a new system with the same
version of Postgres which you were running, and after you've
got the system installed, kill postres, rename it's base directory to
base.old, and move your old base directory from the crashed system
to it's place. Then restart Postgres.

If you are concerned about the integrity of the old files,
which you probably should be, dump the old tables and then
rename the base.old directory back to base and load the
data from the dump files to the new system.

You dump the old databases with "pg_dump dbname > dumpfile.txt"
I understand that pg_dumpall now works properly, so
you might be able to use that, if you have tons of databases.
You restore with "psql dbname -e < dumpfile.txt"

Troy