Re: [SQL] 2 million+ entries - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [SQL] 2 million+ entries
Date
List pgsql-sql
> Michael Richards wrote:
>
> > We're currently testing a system with about 1.2 million records with 6.5
> > and it outperforms SQL server 6 by quite a lot. It's running on a dual P3
> > with a 4 9.1 gig Cheetah array on a DPT controller running RAID0. I'm
> > pretty happy with it...
> >

> Great balls of fire! A dual P3 with a four 9.1 Gig RAID0 Cheetah array?
> That's fantastic! How much did that set you back? Are there any special
> quirks about using Postgres on a multiple processor, multiple disk
> system?

No quirks.  Our multi-Unix-process model for each backend makes
multi-cpu's work great.  In fact, multi-threading, which mysql uses to
put multiple backends in a single unix process, can be a pain to get
working on a multi-cpu system unless the OS can handle threads across
multiple cpu processes.

Pennsylvania19026