Re: [BUGS] Error in Makefile - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [BUGS] Error in Makefile
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> Hi,
>
> I've found an error during the compilation of PostgreSQL 6.5 and PostgreSQL
> 6.5.1.
> If I give the option for include TCL support, the compilation is interrupted
> with following error:
>
> ld -shared -x -soname -o pltcl.so pltcl.o -L/usr/local/lib -ltcl80
> /usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot open pltcl.so: No such file or directory
> gmake[2]: *** [pltcl.so] Error 1
>

> I've fixed it quickly by hand changing the argument order of this comand,
> in following manner:
>
> $ cd pl/tcp
> $ ld -shared -x -soname pltcl.o -o pltcl.so  -L/usr/local/lib -ltcl80
>

> Some info about my system: FreeBSD 3.0 stable and every tools (gcc,
> ld, gmake, flex, ...) is the standard given with this distribution.

OK, I run BSDI here, and this is the first time I have heard of this
problem.  The original line is clearly wrong.  Doing a 'gmake distclean'
I see:

    #$ rgrep soname
    ./Makefile.shlib:      LDFLAGS_SL       := -x -Bshareable -soname $(shlib)
    ./Makefile.shlib:      LDFLAGS_SL       := -x -shared -soname $(shlib)
    ./Makefile.shlib:  LDFLAGS_SL           := -Bdynamic -shared -soname $(shlib)

Now, configure is generating other files that have some bug where the
-soname does not have the proper handling.  Can you point me to where
this problem may be coming from?