Re: [SQL] Problem with postgreSQL triggers - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Emils Klotins
Subject Re: [SQL] Problem with postgreSQL triggers
Date
List pgsql-sql
> to use the traditionnal structure:
>                create trigger <trigger name>
>                before delete on <table name>
>                for each row
>                BEGIN
>                query;
>                END;    ?
> Otherwise, how can I deal with the "execute procedure <procedure
> name>" statement? Thanks
As from postgresql.org website:

CREATE TRIGGER name { BEFORE | AFTER } { event [OR
...] } ON table FOR EACH { ROW | STATEMENT }
EXECUTE PROCEDURE ( arguments )
you should apparently create a procedure/function much of the same
as with:
CREATE FUNCTION name ( [ ftype [, ...] ] ) RETURNS rtype
AS definition LANGUAGE 'langname'

BEGIN/END I think would be restricted to transactions. And therefore
would be considered reserved words?

Just my idea. Haven't used triggers in Pg yet myself. You might see
under contributed things / refint (referential integrity) package
somewhere, there should be lots of triggers I assume.

Emils Klotins       e-mail: emils@mail.usis.bkc.lv
Systems Manager     URL: http://www.usis.bkc.lv/
USIS Riga           7 Smilsu Str., Riga LV1050, LATVIA