Re: [HACKERS] Some progress on INSERT/SELECT/GROUP BY bugs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Some progress on INSERT/SELECT/GROUP BY bugs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> (MakeTargetEntryIdent is broken anyway because it tries to associate
> a destination column with every TLE, even the resjunk ones.  The reason
> we see the quoted error message in this situation is that after
> findTargetlistEntry fails to detect that totshippinghandling is already
> a TLE, it calls MakeTargetEntryIdent to make a junk TLE for
> totshippinghandling, and then MakeTargetEntryIdent tries to find a
> target column to go with the junk TLE.  So the revised code should only
> assign dest column names to non-junk TLEs.)
>
> I'm not really familiar enough with the parser to want to tackle this
> size of change by myself --- Thomas, do you want to do it?  I think it's
> largely a matter of moving code around, but I'm not sure where is the
> right place for it...

Yes, I clearly remember the INSERT assigning target names to columns in
the select to match up the entries.  I still am unclear which of these
are valid SQL:
select a as b from test order by aselect a as b from test order by b

Can we just defer the renaming until after we do group-by?

Pennsylvania19026