Re: [HACKERS] Re: [SQL] plpgsql error - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Brook Milligan
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: [SQL] plpgsql error
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Re: [SQL] plpgsql error  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Any shell-scripting gurus on the list?  I thought this would be an easy  fix, but I'm having some difficulty getting
theconfigure script to  produce a fully-expanded value for libdir.  Given a shell variable that  may contain
$-referencesto other variables, the requirement is to  assign to a new variable an expanded value containing no
$-references. I tried   expanded_libdir="$libdir"  but that just gets you an exact copy, no recursive expansion.  A few
other ideas didn't work either; the Bourne shell doesn't seem to want  to re-expand text it's already expanded.
Suggestions?

Isn't the correct solution to have the Makefile contain a rule that
creates the file from a template (e.g., with sed -e
's/@xxx@/${xxx}/g')?  That way make resolves the variable references
and you needn't worry about it.  You can have the rule depend on
something like Makefile or Makefile.global or wherever the relevant
variables are set so that if local tweaks are made the files get
remade automatically.

Cheers,
Brook