Re: [GENERAL] Comments on columns? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Comments on columns?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I created functions to add comments based on the table and column name
> rather than using the oids.  I include these calls as part of my table
> creation scripts.  I assume that by initdb you mean when the database is
> created than when Postgres is started.  If the oids can change every time
> you start Posgtres, this would be a problem.
>
> I can upload my functions for integrating into Postgres as a standard way to
> add comments (if requested).  Maybe we should consider attaching
> descriptions to a table and or column name rather than an oid?

I like to keep using the oid because it allows comments on functions and
operators, which would make a 'name'-based system work badly.

I plan to add system tablename/column descriptions by doing some kind of
name/oid mapping function for this.  This will happen after 6.5.

I will also try to add some standard way of adding descriptions.

Pennsylvania19026