Re: [GENERAL] pg_hba.conf and crypt - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: [GENERAL] pg_hba.conf and crypt
Date
List pgsql-general
Kevin Lo wrote:

  >Hi, Oliver,
  >
  >I follow your instructions to do on my local machine, edit the file
  >pg_hba.conf:
  >
  >local        all                                         password
  >host         all   127.0.0.1     255.255.255.255         crypt
  >
  >then I connect with psql, use the -u option, I got the following errors:
  >
  >% psql -u
  >Username: postgres
  >Password:
  >
  >User authentication failed
  >Connection to database 'postgres' failed.
  >User authentication failed

You must set a password for postgres before you change pg_hba.conf, using
`ALTER USER postgres WITH PASSWORD xxxxx'.  It sounds as if you haven't
done this.

     "If it is possible, as much as it depends on you, live
      peaceably with all men."        Romans 12:18