psql segmentation fault - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bogus User
Subject psql segmentation fault
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I'm running Debian Linux 2.1 and I downloaded and installed
Postgresql v6.5beta1.  I went through the steps in the INSTALL
file and everything seemed ok.  I can start the postmaster, but
when I try to run psql I get a segmentation fault.

The exact output from psql is:

$ psql
Welcome to the POSTGRESQL interactive sql monitor:
Please read the file COPYRIGHT for copyright terms of POSTGRESQL
[PostgreSQL 6.5.0 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc egcs-2.91.6]

  type \? for help on slash commands
  type \q to quit
  type \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
You are currently connected to the database: postgres

Segmentation fault
$

On the server side, it prints out
pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection

It did the same thing when I downloaded and compiled v6.4.2, but
not when I installed the debian package version.

Any ideas on what's going wrong?

Thanks,
Rich