Re: [HACKERS] How do I get the backend server into gdb? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Massimo Dal Zotto
Subject Re: [HACKERS] How do I get the backend server into gdb?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> I need to debug this connection problem I am having with Access97.  My
> question is how can I get the new Postgres backend that starts up for Access
> into debug (gdb)?  I can get the PostMaster open in gdb.
>
> Thanks, Michael

$ postgres -h
postgres: illegal option -- h
Usage: postgres [options] [dbname]...       -W              wait N seconds to allow attach from a debugger

I added the -W option for this purpose. You should start the postmaster
with the following option:
   postmaster -o '-W 15' ...

The -W option is passed to the backend which sleeps 15 seconds before doing
any work. In the meantime you have the time to do a ps, find the backend pid
and attach gdb to the process.

Obviously you can't do that in a production environment because it adda a
fixed delay for each connection which will make your users very angry.

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

|  Massimo Dal Zotto               email: dz@cs.unitn.it               |
|  Via Marconi, 141                phone: ++39-0461534251              |
|  38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)      www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/  |
|  Italy                             pgp: finger dz@tango.cs.unitn.it  |