Re: [GENERAL] UnixWare chokes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [GENERAL] UnixWare chokes
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > > or Linux) gmake barfs with:
> > >     Undefined symbol   alloca    in file   bootstrap/SUBSYS.o
>
> > The alloca calls are coming from the code generated by bison.  Strange
> > it would do that on Unixware.  You would think bison would know if
> > alloca was available, and only use it if it was.  If you use 'nm' you
> > will see the unresolved call in bootparse.c, no?
>
> Bruce - I am not sure what I am looking for...so here is the stdout from
> running nm (tail  make.log follows the nm output).
>
> Thanks for taking the time, I know you're rather busy.

It is this line:

    [56]    |         0|       0|NOTY |GLOB |0    |UNDEF  |alloca

Your bison is outputting code that can not be resolved by the libraries
you supplied.  Try doing 'nm' in /usr/lib, and see if you can find a
reference to alloca that does not have "UNDEF" next to it.