Re: [HACKERS] Efficiency of LIMIT ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Efficiency of LIMIT ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Sun, Apr 25, 1999 at 08:16:58AM +0000, Chris Bitmead wrote:
> >
> > Is the LIMIT feature very efficient? I want to start using it for quite
> > a few things, but I'm wondering, what happens when I have a zillion
> > records and I want the first 10, is that going to be an efficient thing
> > to do?
>
>     I am curious about this myself.  As far as I can tell, it doesn't
> give anything that cursors don't provide, but introduces more "features"
> into the parser.  Do we need this?

This is pretty correct, though it stops the executor from completing all
the result queries, while cursors don't.  The complete the entire query
and store the result for later fetches..  We support it because MySQL
users and others asked for it.

Pennsylvania19026