Problems with OUTER JOIN - UNION ...... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Angelo CONFLITTI
Subject Problems with OUTER JOIN - UNION ......
Date
List pgsql-sql
hi,
  I have some problems with the OUTER JOIN.

I have 2 tables:

The first TABELLA1:

   NAME     | COD
------------+-----
PIPPO       |1AA
PLUTO       |2AB
TOPOLINO    |3AC
PAPERINO    |7BB
PAPERONE    |CC2

the second TABELLA2:

COD |  COUNTRY
----+-------------
1AA |ITALY
2AB |GERMANY
CC2 |SWEDEN

I want this query result:

  NAME      | COD  |  COUNTRY
------------+------+--------------
PIPPO       |1AA   |ITALY
PLUTO       |2AB   |GERMANY
TOPOLINO    |3AC   |
PAPERINO    |7BB   |
PAPERONE    |CC2   |SWEDEN

I tried some queries but with bad results!
The command OUTER JOIN (or equivalent) isn't in PostgreSQL (It's true?).

One of my tries is:
-------------------------------
SELECT a.name, a.cod, b.country
FROM tabella1 a, tabella2 b
WHERE a.cod = b.cod
UNION
SELECT a.name, a.cod, ''
FROM tabella1 a;
-------------------------------

but I have an error with the program "psql":
"pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly. ......."

and the psql terminate his execution.

The query of example is right?
There is another way?
If I have 3 tables can I use more UNION?
If I want an order by a column where can I write the "ORDER BY" command?
(the last) with the UNION, I think, I'll have more equal rows: where I
can write the "GROUP BY" command?

Excuse for my english language and thank for any
help.

Angelo CONFLITTI.