General Bug Report: Transaction END statemente generates NOTICE: EndTransactionBlock and not inprogress/abort state - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Unprivileged user
Subject General Bug Report: Transaction END statemente generates NOTICE: EndTransactionBlock and not inprogress/abort state
Date
List pgsql-bugs
                        POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name        : Manuel Lemos
Your email address    : mlemos@acm.org

Category        : runtime: front-end: PHP/FI
Severity        : non-critical

System Configuration
--------------------
  Operating System   : Lunix 2.0.34, SunOS 5.6

  PostgreSQL version : 6.4.2

  Compiler used      : gcc 2.7.2.3

Hardware:
---------
Linux cohones 2.0.34 #14 Mon Sep 14 20:25:09 WEST 1998 i586 unknown
SunOS crystal.adgrafix.com 5.6 Generic_105181-11 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraSPARC-IIi

Versions of other tools:
------------------------

Problem Description:
--------------------
I use PHP persistent connections to PostgreSQL.  I use BEGIN to start a
transaction and I noticed that the changes are not effectively committed
when I do a simple COMMIT.  Since with PHP's persistent connections are
never closed I realized that I have to perform an END query or start a new
query with BEGIN.

The problem is that when I perform an END query PostgreSQL front end dumps
this message to stderr which ends in the Web server (Apache 1.3.4) error
log:

NOTICE:  EndTransactionBlock and not inprogress/abort state

Test Case:

Solution:
---------