Re: [HACKERS] URGENT - "CANNOT EXTEND" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] URGENT - "CANNOT EXTEND"
Date
Re: [HACKERS] URGENT - "CANNOT EXTEND"  (Peter T Mount <peter@retep.org.uk>)
List pgsql-hackers
> A couple days ago I asked what happens when I hit 2GB and I was told "no
> worries". Well, I hit 2GB and it barfed on me. It looks like postgres is
> trying to create a new file, but it isn't able to use it....
>
> /dev/sda is where my database resides and it has 38% free.
>
> Right now, geocrawler is still up and running, but no new mail can be
> inserted into it until I can get this figured out....
>
> Please respond directly to tim@perdue.net

OK, the problem is that some OS's have trouble with tables that are
exactly 2gig.  While PostgreSQL does not have a problem, and many OS's
don't, some can't handle a file that is exactly 2 gigs, so we have
modified the 6.5 unreleased code to stop growing the table at about 1
gig, and create a new table file so that is not a problem.

Peter Mount made the change.  I don't see anything on our FTP server
about that patch, so perhaps Peter will have to supply one, or we will
have to grab one.  If you search the hackers archive on the ftp site,
you will see discussion about it, and perhaps a patch.