Re: [INTERFACES] the last row in a table - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Michael Meskes
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] the last row in a table
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 08:08:43PM +0800, hoelc wrote:
> I am developing a database with PostgreSQL in Linux, and using ecpg to write the
> C program to communicate with the database.

Nice to hear that. :-)

> One of my application need to get the data from the last row in a table.

Now that statement is sort of a problem. In a relational model there is no
order of tuples in a relation. You can simulate this via a unique key of
course or maybe use the OID. Or do you mean the last tuple of a query?

> Is there any function or command that can tract which is the last row of data in
> a table?

Once you opened a cursor you can move it to the end of the query via the
move command. I never used this feature but I take it this is how it is
supposed to be. Afterwards you can fetch one record backward.

Michael

Email: Michael.Meskes@gmx.net          | Use PostgreSQL!